Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Winner, Winner!

Wow, it seems like forever since I have blogged, but don't worry I am still alive and doing well!  So, fasten your seatbelts folks, and let me get you up to speed on life in Honduras!

Since the new year, things have started to pick up around the clinic.  During the month of January, we have had 4-5 residents every week working with us int he clinic.  We have had a couple visiting doctors as well as a few other volunteers.  With the increase of volunteers in the clinic, it has brought with it an increase of patients.  Over the past couple weeks we have been seeing 40-65 patients!  Fortunately for us (not so fortunate for the patient), it hasn't just been an increase in number of patients, but we have also gotten to see and do some new and interesting things.  For instance, we saw a lady with a blood sugar of "hi".  Now when this comes up on a glucometer, you know it's bad.  "Normal" blood sugar is 60-110; it says "hi" once it's over 600!  Over the past few months we have been working to control this lady's diabetes, so it didn't really surprise me all that much.  So what did we do for her?  I, yes, that would be me, put in an IV...my first ever!  Man, did I ever master that IV- got it on my first try!  Now this wasn't just any IV start, this was an IV start on a lady that was dehydrated and had no veins....makes for just a bit harder of a stick, but I conquered it none the less!  However, I must say, it was probably to her advantage that she couldn't understand us as I was walked through putting in an IV....something about that wouldn't comfort me all that much :p  Along with that, we have seen a few results of moto accidents, I have started not one, but two IV's successfully, we are making headway on our upstairs in hopes of opening in April, we are tightening our bootstraps for the boat load of volunteers we are going to be seeing throughout the month of February, plus starting to get out into the community more with health fairs and presentations.

Over the past few weeks we have gone up into the Colonia a few times in order to hold health fairs.  During these health fairs we check people's weight (as many/most do not have scales and/or know what they weigh), blood sugar, blood pressure, and screen for HIV.  If we run across something that needs further evaluation, we refer them to the clinic, making sure to tell them that if they cannot afford it we will see them anyways.  This is often times what holds people back from coming in the first place.  Many do not realize that we will see them even if they cannot pay.  That is one beauty of the clinic and the excellent health care we provide.  Unlike in the states, everyone gets quality health care (at the clinic that is), regardless of their ability to pay and without having worries about insurance.  Besides the health fair, we also did a women's health class in the Colonia.  Although I did not attend, I hear it was a great success and well accepted....we will definately need to get more of those going.

Last week, we also took a field trip into the Colonia in order to deliver a dozen backpacks and school clothes.  There are two families of 8 or 9 living in a house about the size of a nice bathroom maybe.  It is unreal what you see when going up into the Colonia--it never ceases to amaze me!  3,000 people living up on the hillside in which they have to walk up steep, steep hills to get to there homes while carrying a small child, propane tank, supplies, food, etc.  Many don't have work outside the house and many of the kids do not go to school.  What gets me everytime, though, is walking past houses that have cable tv or the number of people that have cell phones and talk on them constantly but can't afford food.  What has technology come too?  Has it really consumed our life that much that it is more important to us than food and shelter?  Sometimes, I think that is definately the case, and it is really quite sad and almost pathetic!  Think about all the technology in your life.  How do you compare?  What are your priorities--the here and now or the cyper, technological "galaxy"?

I know what people are really waiting to hear about is the rumored triathalon I was in.  That's right, I was part of a triatholon this past weekend.  You didn't know I was training for one?  Oh wait, that's because I didn't! haha  Yup, cold turkey in the Bay Island Triathalon and my relay team took 1st!  While some may not think going cold turkey is all that terrible, let me paint you a little picture.  The bike portion (which I did) was 5 miles on hilly terrain.  Yes, 14%, 18%, and 20 %, grade hills...for those of you unfamiliar with grading (you're not alone)...but that is practically straight up for all I'm concerned.  Apparently "normal" grade for a hill is right around 8%.  So yes, these hills covered about a third of the course.  The course here on Roatan is one of the top 5 hardest courses....in the world!  Future olympic athletes come to compete for points to get them into the olympics.  That's right....I was racing with olympic athletes!  And to think....they train for this everyday?!  Why gave me this crazy idea to enter the triathalon?  The triathalon had been postponed from November and there were two girls that were going to do it.....but their biker went home in December.  Therefore, I told them last weekend that if they found me a bike, I would bike for them.  The day before the race, I checked out the bike that I would be riding.  Clipless peddles (meaning your feet are attached to your peddles) that I've never used before, riding on an island full of hills!  I rode a little bit of the course on Saturday to "train".  The portion that I rode?  The relatively easy portion....yet I struggled on the hills.  How was I ever going to make it on the most difficult part?!  Well, I guess we shall see come race day!  The best part of it all?!  I didn't have a helmet, so I wore a moped helmet.  That's right folks, I went real Roatan fashion.....delayed training, moped helmet....  Look where it got us....first place! 

I think that about sums up my life for the past few weeks.  Weather is starting to get nicer again; went for a snorkel yesterday and it was quite nice--saw a Baracuda, a few star fish, swam in a school of fish--man was it clear yesterday!  Four months are gone, eight months left--time sure is flying, but at the same time, there are days when it seems to move so very slowly.

Until next time,
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment