Saturday, August 6, 2011

It's the Final Countdown

1 month, 34 days, 826 hrs, or some grand amount of minutes.  However you want to look at it, my time volunteering at Clinica Esperanza in Honduras is quickly coming to an end.  Many people that I run into or talk to commonly ask me, "Are you ready to go home?"  Of course, the only logical answer would be "YES!  I am very ready to get home and see my family and friends again."  With goodbyes, there are of course things that will be missed, but in taking the days as they come and with looking to what lies ahead, I have yet to really consider all that I will miss about here. 

This morning while snorkeling, in addition to taking in the beauty of the underwater world, I was thinking about what lies ahead for me this fall. And then, a little bit ago, I was looking at pictures of some of my younger siblings. Over the past 5 years, I haven't constantly been home as I have been off at college and now in Honduras. Unfortunately, my siblings have not stopped growing! Instead they are all soo grown up and I feel like I have missed out on really getting to spend time with them. Throughout this year, as I have gotten to share my family with all the people I have met, I have realized that there is soo much that I don't know about some of them. This fall as I spend time at home I am going to really cherish every minute that I have to spend with them and really getting to know them.

The other day a couple of us were getting ready to go to the grocery store.  There is one grocery store (Eldon's) that is just like walking into an American supermarket as it has all the brands and the selection you would find there.  It's not very often that I go to this one because we have a market a lot closer.  However, a new Eldon's was just opened up in front of the closer grocery store so we were pretty excited.  One of the Hondurans at the clinic just laughed at us, but let me tell you, going to the grocery store is often pretty exciting for us!  Going to the store at home is usually a lot more convenient as you often pass by it on the way home.  Here, not so much--it can be a whole process to arrange a trip to the grocery store.  The convenience of being able to run to the store whenever I want/need to will be wonderful!

Another thing that I am soo excited about?!  The changing seasons.  That's right, I am actually looking forward to the winter and the snow and being able to wear sweats and a sweatshirt!  While I like the heat and the beach and the ocean, I definitely cannot live without the 4 seasons- I love the change all too much!  Living here where throughout the year the tempurature ranges from 70-100+, it has felt like the longest summer ever!  Come to think of it, maybe that's why this year has seemed soo much longer than any other year!  Along with seasons, come holiday and family traditions.  I was just talking with someone tonight about how one thing she is going to miss this year is picking apples.  It's the little things like this that aren't here and that we are accustomed to doing that you start to miss after a while.  Partaking in the traditions once again will be nice.

Other things I look forward to are seeing old friends, home cooked meals with a varied diet (more than rice, beans, chicken, and pasta- although it is pretty good), a large glass of cold milk, a room to mess up without a housekeeper cleaning it, living without pets (aside from fish), flushing toilet paper, fast internet, consistent electricity, bonfires, saving money instead of spending money, sharing this wonderful experience with others, being able to pick up the phone to call someone whenever I want, not always knowing everyone I see (although that can be just as hard at home since everyone seems to know us!), and I'm sure the list could go on. 

But as I finish out my time here, my focus remains on the tasks at hand.  Like I started out saying, I have 1 month, 34 days, 826 hrs, or some grand amount of minutes left on this island.  However, it is that much time that I have left to finish the work that God has put in place for me to do.  He's not done with me here yet, otherwise I would be headed home tomorrow.  So until then, I continue on moving forward, making strides, and serving people through God.

Peace and Love!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment