Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Heart of Righteousness

Last week the focus for advent was Mary and a heart of surrender.  This week we look at Joseph and a heart of righteousness.  Having a heart of righteousness is something that we struggle with on a daily basis.  Often times we can over look what is right to do because it’s not what we want to do.  Sometimes we can get so wrapped up in what we are doing that we forget to take time and say God what is it that You want us to be doing?  Is what we are doing the right thing or should we be putting our focus into something else?  Over the course of the past three months I have started to be able to see this.  Life here is a lot slower than life back in the states.  Being here, I only have one real focus currently in mind- volunteering at the clinic, helping out those most in need.  There is nothing else on my “schedule”.  Heck, who am I kidding, I don’t even have a schedule here.  I can readily do whatever I want to do, whenever I want to do it (for the most part that is).  Having all this time, I have had time to really focus on righteousness.  What is the right thing for me to do—not because I want to do it, but because that is what God is calling me to do?  Just like Joseph in the Christmas story.  After he found out that Mary was with child, he was ready to “divorce her quietly” because how could that be?  But then the angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream to explain it to him.  After that moment, he knew that it was right for him to stay with Mary, maybe he didn’t want to stay with her at the time being, but it was the right thing, it was God’s will.
Clinic this week brought with it some new and exciting things.  There is a psych nurse that has been on the island for quite a few years, but she is now going to start doing some psych work with the clinic!  Twice this past week she came in to do some initial psych evaluations on patients and I got to translate for her…who knew that my Spanish was that good already!?  While we uncovered some very
devastating things about what has been happening in these people’s lives, such as various forms of abuse, I can only anticipate the great help that we will be able to offer these people.  It brings me comfort to know that they were willing to open up to us so that we will be able to adequately serve them and help them.  This past week we also welcomed a volunteer from London, so I’ve been spending some of my clinic time getting her all orientated as well.  One of the med students that is here currently shared with us a presentation on diabetes and its treatment courses and afterwards I had a new idea pop into my head about ways that I could possibly do health education, but in a different fashion.  Instead of directly outreaching to the people and preaching to them, we could work on keeping the medical personnel up to date in research and also encourage them to pass this information onto patients.  One thing that I heard this past week was that no matter what you tell these people, a lot of times they won’t always hear it.  Maybe if we start with giving education at an individual level (with the providers to the patients), we will better reach these people at a community level.  Then as we begin/do health education outreach to the local community they will receive it a little better.  Another thing that I have learned is that no matter what I, as a nurse, or what a provider tells them, a lot of what they believe is based on their own experiences, either personally or through friends
and families.  In order to change their thought on something, such as the need to take insulin when your blood sugar is 539 (normal is 70-110) and oral medications are not working, can be very intensive and often times it can be like talking to a wall.  Why don’t they want to do it?  Because they believe diabetics that are taking insulin end up with their legs amputated—when actually this happens
because of uncontrolled diabetes.  This is just one of the many myths that we will try laboriously to dispel.  With time, hopefully we will get there.  So with those thoughts in mind, that’s where I am headed for the next while.  We shall see what I come up with!

Peace and Blessings this holiday season!
Laura

2 comments:

  1. so well said laura!
    thanks for being part of my world here in roatan.
    may He continue to direct your steps here as you choose to serve Him and the people He puts into your path.

    i am glad we met. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love it! Thanks for really making me think. I love the first paragraph and it really fits into my life well because I'm taking my class to confession tomorrow.

    Thanks for being such an amazing friend!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete