Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Setting out on a Journey

Well folks- it's almost here! I can't believe that after waiting the entire summer for this time to arrive, I am only 12 days away from attending orientation in New Jersey and 19 days away from beginning a year of service in Roatan, Honduras.  It has been quite the journey in getting to this point, and I truly look forward to the journey that is about to begin from this point.  It won't be easy saying my goodbyes for the year, nor will my work there always be easy, but it is a challenge that I am up for.

Some of you may know, but others may be wondering: "what are you going to be doing for a year and what is this program you are going through?"  Well let me tell you!  With much help from Catholic Medical Mission Board- Medical Volunteer Program, I am going to be headed to Roatan, Honduras to volunteer in a clinic- "Clinica Esperanza" translated "Clinic of Hope" (hence the blog title).  CMMB- MVP is a program that operates out of New Jersey, but sends people all over the globe.  There are short term volunteers as well as long term volunteers volunteering within the US and all over the world.  The unique thing about this organization is that you must be a licensed health care provider, but more importantly, it's faith-based.  I feel very fortunate, after attending CSB/SJU, to be able to volunteer with a program that has core values very similar to the Benedictine Values.  In reading a friend's blog, I was reminded of the graduation speaker for SJU and his underlying theme to his address, "Don't forget your keys".  The keys he spoke of were those Benedictine values and the faith that we had gained in the past four years.  So, as I go forth to begin a year long experience, the first thing on my packing list will be those keys that I have earned throughout college.  Clinica Esperanza is a clinic in Roatan that started as a clinic in a woman's basement before being moved into a donated space.  Currently, it is in phase II of III in the expansion process.  The clinic has very few full time, payed staff as most of the medical help comes from volunteers from around the world.  While I am there, I will be able to help in the clinic, help with administrative work, and help in the new expansion (birthing center and pediatric inpatient) that will hopefully be opened later this year.  Aside from know these broad things that I will be doing, I don't know what to expect.  However, I almost much prefer it that way because then I do not have any preconceptions and I am open to what comes my way.

Many have also asked, "Why Honduras".  I left that up to CMMB.  I told them I wanted to go to Central America (Guatemala or Honduras) so that I could expand my Spanish skills and get a cultural experience.  They then placed me in Roatan at Clinica Esperanza.  They of course asked if I thought it sounded like a good fit, and after talking to the lady at the clinic, Ms. Peggy, and looking into it, I believe this is where God is calling me to be. 

So, in the upcoming days, I will be working hard to prepare myself for what I am about to experience.  It will be a new cultural experience for me and I am sure there are going to be times where I am astounded by what I see.  I hope to be able to offer my assistance to the clinic in the ways that they need most and I hope to be able to bring hope and love to the people of Roatan.  As I make this journey, I would like to allow all of you to make it with me.  I will leave updates as often as I can letting you know what I have been up to and what great things have been happening.  Please keep in touch as I would LOVE to hear from all of you as well.  I will have Skype and will of course check email when I can.

Blessings,
Laura 

No comments:

Post a Comment